She watches over the ways of her household,
And does not eat the bread of idleness.

Proverbs 31:27

Monday, January 14, 2013

Broth - A Little Piece of Heaven

Oh, the comforting and calming smells of chicken broth simmering on the stove.  Chloe will be drinking cupfuls before I can finish straining and freezing it.  Supper will be broth with noodles and frozen veggies from last summers garden and bits of chicken rescued from the carcass.   It becomes the strength and marrow of our limbs and nourishes our skin and cartiledge.  I can feel the healthiness simmering on my stove, the chickens we cared for giving and giving again.  Above the heat of the iron and the humming of my sewing machine I hear the happy tunes coming from my youngest as she works out her sums at the dining room table.  She is especially happy today since she declares the house smells like heaven.  This is why I do this.  Me, the Real Food hippie type homemaking everything person.  There is history in every bite.  I cherish the memory of the broth simmering day every time I use a tub of broth in my cooking.  I know the ingredients.  Onions, carrots, celery, peppercorns, bay leaves, all organic, chicken backs, necks and feet from the backyard, water, apple cider vinegar.  Try to find a box of that at your local grocery.  That's why I do it.  This is one of the most important foods our bodies need.  When I watch Chloe drinking her broth I feel extremely thankful and satisfied that she gets to have that and that I get to give it to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment