She watches over the ways of her household,
And does not eat the bread of idleness.

Proverbs 31:27

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Picnic Pie

This Christmas I wanted to do something very English to celebrate my heritage.  I used to make sausage pie when the kids were young but haven't made it for a long time because I couldn't find the same sausage in this country.  It was exciting because I could use our own homemade sausage from pastured pork.  I studied different recipes and asked around on Facebook and came up with the following recipe:  You don't have to make it this shape.  I used to make it in a pie shape with only a bottom crust. But a two crust pie in a deep pan would work great too.  Chill it for a take anywhere savory treat.  Or serve hot with a side of veggies.  You could also cut this recipe in half for a smaller version.
Here are some pictures of the process.



I served this picnic pie cold on Christmas Eve.  It was a hit.  At least it was
with me.  Mark liked it too.  The two of us ate that all the next week.  I will
definitely make this again.  I hope you try it and enjoy it.
Here is a recipe for the pastry I make.  Just double it for a two crust pie.


No comments:

Post a Comment