She watches over the ways of her household,
And does not eat the bread of idleness.

Proverbs 31:27

Monday, February 2, 2015

Laundry Detergent

This week we ran out of laundry detergent. It’s not that big of a deal to run out of detergent. You just put it on your list, right? Well not exactly. Not when you make your own. It has been over a year since I made my first batch of laundry detergent. I kept using that batch. A year passed and I was still using that same batch. I think it cost me about $6.00 to make it. It just kept lasting and lasting. Finally last week I emptied the bucket into my dispenser bottle. On my shopping list I wrote the ingredients for the next batch.

One bar of Fels Naptha, you can use other but this is what I use.
One box of Borax laundry booster
One box of Washing Soda
The recipe is taped to the inside door of one of my laundry room cabinets.

Tuesday Chloe and I set about to make another batch. I’m sharing it with you so that you too can save a lot of money on an ordinary job like washing clothes. I’m completely satisfied with how clean my clothes are. I sometimes use vinegar or additional Washing Soda to brighten up the whites.

This is what you need.
You will also need a five gallon pail.


Grate the bar of Fels-Naptha soap into a large saucepan.


Add four cups of water.
Melt the soap in the water on medium heat stirring constantly.

Fill the bucket half full with hot tap water.
I can not carry a five gallon pail full of water
so I carry the water to the pail in a juice jug.

Fill the pail half way with hot water.

I bought a pail at Rural King for $5.
I also had to pay $5. for the lid.

Measure one cup of Borax and

one cup of Washing Soda

Two cups of powder total.

Pour the melted soap into the pail.

Pour the powder into the pail.

Stir it really well to dissolve the powder.



Fill it up the rest of the way with hot water.
Put the lid on and let it sit for at least 24 hours.

Now you can take 1/4 cup per load as I do.
Or 1/2 cup per load as I do for really big dirty loads.
Or 1 - 2 cups per load like my daughter does.

Hers doesn't last as long as mine but she is saving a ton of money using this detergent.
Mine lasted a long time.  I don't know about HE washers.  I don't have one.
If I had one I might give it a try and see if it works out.
If you have a HE washer and have tried this detergent in it,
I would love to know how it worked out.

I love that I can save plastic and money and be more independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment